End Grain Projects

I bought this piece of Doug Fir fireplace wood at a garage sale. It was from a stump that had been cut off at the ground and measured 22’L by 24" in dia.it had been split to make a 1/2 round log The piece had been stored for several years and was “dried out.” The reason I bought it was the growth rings in the end grain fascinated me.
After it was squared up to a chunk that was about 24"L X 22"W X 6" Thick.
I resawed it on the band saw crosswise to make end grain boards 1" thick to make this stool.
Toward the center of the log was a pitch streak that came apart,and had to be glued back together. This is the first item I made from it.

3 Likes

What a unique look! I’d be concerned that the grain doesn’t go the way it’s “supposed” to go, but I assume this piece shows no sign of cracking and is plenty strong. I’m slowly realizing that a lot of these “rules” about grain are not that important for smaller pieces.

Tim, maybe it was seasoned out enough and the whole “round” was split in half could have relieved the tensions.
Herb

Here is another two items made from the same block. A jewelry box and tea caddie.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Herb, I am fascinated by the looks of all three pieces shown here, and I know that your hands sing in technique. The mere fact that such cuts can provide stable pieces is unique to really old pieces of wood, like the one you found. I wonder how you fixed the supporting long pieces under the seat of the stool (this and the other where you split the planks to eliminate curvature. For me, a dowel phanatic, it is obvious, but I am very curious to know how you solved the problem.

Welcome to the forum,Dimitri, I am glad you joined.
to answer your questions:
The spreader supports directly under the top boards are screwed and glued to the legs on each end and the lower spreader is through tenoned and cross pinned with a wooden dowel. The top is screwed down to the legs and plugged as can be seen from the top view.
Herb

1 Like

To answer your second question, the top is 2 book matched consecutive pieces crosscut across the block.
Herb

1 Like

@DimitriM
the man is certainly inspiring and worth the time to follow around…

1 Like