I always wanted to make one of theses

Not rocket science, but definitely surprising how visually effective this pattern is. Although conceptually pretty straightforward, if it’s going to last in the kitchen I think the precision in milling is critical. Afterall, you can’t really joint/plane the glue-ups without compromising the pattern.

I had a wedding coming up Saturday, Monday I realized these boards could do the trick. Maple, Walnut, Cherry.

The walnut and cherry were milled to strips 3/4x2. The maple made square stock 1-1/4 on each side. Rip a 45 on the darker woods, then glue up these strips with a combination of plastic wrap and clamps. I try to avoid 1 off plastic use, but it was pretty key here to keep everything aligned.

Then those assemblies were glued up with a narrow strip of Doug Fir between them. That slab I cut in half, and joined again with more DF

Then the typical end-grain procedure of cutting the slab into 2" strips, and flipping each of those before yet another glue-up

Here are the strips fresh off the saw. Even without the final layers of DF you can start to see the 3d illusion

Final product with grooves and tung oil:

I will pay more attention to grain next time. I think I got lucky with the Cherry and DF, if their orientation wasn’t consistent (which I wasn’t paying attention to) it would have not been the same end product.

4 Likes

Excellent. Those cutting boards are so much fun to make, it can get addictive,especially coming up with different designs. How do you mill the face smooth?
Herb

Old school @HerbStoops , belt sander and 5" orbital. But, the glue-up was tight so it didn’t take long

1 Like

This looks cool. The illusion is really good!

How does the plastic wrap help you align the glue-up? I can only imagine it helping with squeeze-out.

1 Like

Nice job! I have hesitated to do one of these, but you have now inspired me. Thanks (I think!)

1 Like

The plastic is stretchy enough to provide decent clamping pressure. Works better than simple clamps because it applies pressure in all directions at once.

Walnut and Cherry from our salvage expedition @rtwfroody

3 Likes

That is cool how you extended the 45° to the side edge.
Herb

Very nice job!!!

1 Like

@cvcolomb

I don’t know how I missed this…
Your project is outstanding…

KUDOS 3

1 Like