Kitchen remodel #2

Outlets, plumbing, and vents done. Need to sand and texture the drywall and start on the cabinets.

1 Like

looking good for sure…

I got a question on this…
why texture???
texture will capture everything that gets near it that’s produced when you cook…
it difficult to clean and presents irritating issues come repaint time…
you’ll find the best kitchens have smooth walls and gloss paint…

1 Like

The wife doesn’t like flat walls. Ill point out the easy to clean part and see what she thinks. That would be more work for me though.

What kind /pattern of texture were you planning ,Mark? A glossy finish is easier to wipe down.

“Paint may not be the first choice for kitchen walls, as it will face moisture examinations. Fortunately, plastic and acrylic paints offer an ideal solution. This material means that it is moisture-resistant, mold-resistant, easy to clean, and can bring rich colors to your kitchen. The ease of cleaning and low price make plastic and acrylic paints popular. However, the properties of this material dictate that it will not be as durable as other wall coverings,stone,ceramic tile,or stainless steel. Also, using this material for kitchen walls will take a little more time as you apply it multiple times and wait for the paint to dry before you can use the kitchen.” Over time it can be painted over to renew, or change color.

Herb

1 Like

I don’t believe so…

do your mud finishing… scrape (use your DW knife) to knock off the bumps and ridges - don’t dry sand to a final smoothness - only to a fair sorta smoothness… now, wet sand to your happiness smoothness… be careful not to sand un-mudded DW you’ll make rolls in the paper that will be a chore to get rid of…

I’ve found that using a soft, short, very high density nap piece of carpet attached to a pole sander works well… beats using a sponge… don’t clean the carper as you wet sand, just keep it wet w/clean water, but not soaking wet…
the carpet stores have samples you can have or buy…

prime the DW w/ a high quality primer/sealer… I like S&W, Pratt & Lambert, Benjamin Moore, Valspar and Dulux… I won’t go near Behr if you paid me…
check for and fix any blems in the DW… prime the fixes…
paint… avoid high gloss…

Matte paint on the kitchen ceiling will show moisture and stains more easily. The kitchen can be a humid or even wet room at times. As steam rises, it may condense on your ceiling leaving damp spots and possibly staining your ceiling if you use matte paint. This is a huge reason to use semi-gloss or gloss paint for the ceiling. It will do a better job of hiding moisture and won’t show spots. And, in the event of a cooking catastrophe (exploding spaghetti sauce, up-in-smoke roast chicken), it will be easier to scrub the paint to remove any stains without ruining the finish…

Do your kitchen an aesthetic favor and use the sheen from your kitchen walls (either semi-gloss or glossy) as your kitchen ceiling paint finish. As the eye travels up the wall, the ceiling finish won’t stand in stark contrast to your light-reflecting walls. Additionally, a semi-gloss or glossy kitchen ceiling will reflect more light and keep the space feeling brighter…

NOTES…

add a little bit of dish soap along w/ some water to the DW compound when you mix the compound to a cake frosting texture… your tooling/finishing will happen so much easier… never use DW compound straight out of the bucket…

Some More Tips…

Move slowly. It’s tempting once you get the hang of the process to wipe the mud rapidly (after all, we just warned you that this is a time-consuming process). But one of the big benefits of wet sanding is that by using a small amount of moisture and gentle friction, you’ll soften the edges of the mud and smooth it out. Going quickly creates more friction than you want.

The purpose of wet sanding drywall is that the light friction will gently knock down and smooth out the surface, so in addition to working slowly, remember not to apply pressure. Let the sponge and water do the work, not your arm…

Use wet sanding after you’ve done one or two passes (max) with dry sanding. That way, you get the best of both worlds and allow the wet sponge to feather out the edges of the mud…

1 Like

in a few days after the cabs and appliances are in, she’ll never notice…
go w/ flat and if becomes an issue, add texture…
it’s easy to add texture… not so easy to remove it…

Semi gloss might take away from the flatness and still be easy to clean. In my experience flat paint takes on grease and finger prints, and food splashes that is hard to remove.
Herb