Makeup box with/for my niece

My niece came to visit, and I thought it’d be fun to do a woodworking project together. I underestimated how complicated a makeup box would be, so I ended up having to finish the project after she’d already gone home. Some day I might learn to estimate how long something will take.

In any case, I’m happy with how it turned out and look forward to giving it to her this weekend.

Bubinga box with cherry accents. The hinge isn’t completely square to the box so the lid is just offset in front. I’m curious how other people ensure that the hinges go in completely square:

Open the box. A mirror on the lid inside is a common feature of makeup boxes. The tray on the left side lifts out:

Detail of the lid. First time using a gouge to make the little handle.

There are 2 more compartments underneath the tray:

4 Likes

Tim, good job on the box, I like the design too.
I can’t notice where the lid is offset, but it looks like some of the screw heads are not flush W/hinges which might be causing some binding. Was there a reason for 3 hinges? just curious.Sometimes hard to get three in alignment in a short distance between them.
I like the way you cased the mirror.
I am sure she will like it and keep it for a life time
Herb

1 Like

Looks great, Tim. Like Herb, I’m also curious about the three hinges. It is easy to tweak lids into position with hinges like that but yes it is nice to get it just right from the start.

1 Like

They’re stop hinges, so the lid will stay almost upright when opened. But the lid is not that light and the hinges are thin sheet brass. I’m concerned how much force you can put on the hinges with the lever of the size of the lid, so I put in an extra hinge. These were cheap hinges from Woodcraft. If I’d used real hinges I wouldn’t really worry about this, but I was too cheap for that.

2 Likes

I have noticed that too, Tim, the hardware is sure flimsy anymore,and the screw heads are larger than the holes sometimes,or the driver slots ill fit the screwdrivers. Must be that offshore manufacturing.
Herb

It does seem all the really good hardware (Brusso, Horton Brasses) is made in the US. But it also costs 10 times of what this cheap hardware does. Some day I’ll make a box and use the good stuff.

1 Like

Do you do the corner splines on the table saw?
Herb

Yes. I made a 45 degree support, and stuck that on my cross cut sled.

1 Like

I do too,on the 45° jig, only mine rides the fence. I tried the router table, but like the TS better.
Herb

2 Likes