NWWA Online Apr 28: Industrial CAD

Join us for some general woodworking discussion, and then a presentation by Craig Colomb about Industrial CAD. I look forward to seeing you there!

Zoom link

Thursday, April 28, 2022
6:30 PM to 8:30 PM PDT

1 Like

At the end of the meeting we were discussing modeling in SketchUp. I mentioned a couple things that I wanted to share here to make them easier for others to find.

The first is OpenCutList, an extension that can generate cutting lists and cutting diagrams for you, based on your SketchUp model. As I mentioned, the initial learning curve can be a little steep, but once you understand how to map materials to different types of wood, it’s pretty straight forward. I figured that out via trial and error, but I just found this YouTube video that provides a good intro that should help you get started if you’re interested.

Second, I mentioned a Steve Ramsey video that helped a few things click for me and made SketchUp a much less frustrating experience. After introducing some SketchUp basics, he walks through step-by-step creating a shop utility cabinet. When I was first learning SketchUp, I followed along modeling my own version of the cabinet (pausing very frequently so I could catch up :sweat_smile:) which helped cement muscle memory for the techniques he was demonstrating.

2 Likes