Simple Bar for Ourside BQ

Here is a simple bar for the deck to assist in a cook out. It is made out of cedar fencing planed smooth. It is a good place to set the ingredients, and set the dishes of finished food while doing a BQ. When done it is light enough to pick up and set back against the outside wall,or take inside .
It can be finished anyway you wish, stain,clear,paint,etc.
Herb

2 Likes

Looks nice! How smooth does it stay if you leave it outside? I imagine the top would warp a bit.

I think you are right, Tim. The person whom I made it for spray painted it black with several coats from a spray can. Myself I would have gone with a oil stain,like redwood or gray weathered look, and really soaked it in and every so many years give it additional coats. Cedar is a fairly stable wood and holds oil stain well, plus it can be refinished without a lot of prep.
Herb

1 Like

Beautiful, and it absolutely needed plenty of oil to soak into the pores, to present and emphasize the grain, to give a warm tint to those whitish areas, and why leave it outside? It is small and light and would look very decorative when put inside, uasing the back as front of a display cabinet. Well done Herb, I absolutely love it.
If I was asked to redo it and change something, I would perhaps make the top thicker (perhaps twice as thick?) to give some nerve to the top which is larger than the body, and add a shallow drawer under it, just for style (you know, pretend you made it for the can opener and the bottle corks…)!
I want to ask how you joined the top to the body., you gave me an idea to make something for the summer coming.
Bravo !

Dimitri, it is made like a bookcase, with a sub top the same width as the sides. Then I made a separate wide curved top and attached it up from underneath with screws. The top is also glued to the sub top, so total thickness is 1 1/2", the top is a minimum of 2" wider all way around and the ends are 4"longer.
Herb

1 Like