The Bosche Red Pusher

About 10 years ago I bought a Bosche 4100 portable table saw for a second saw in my shop. Its function was to use when my larger saw was set up and I needed a quick cut. It came with the red pusher stick shown. I was using this red stick to rip a small block and the blade caught in the plastic and immediately welded itself to the pusher causing the red pusher to explode.
It put a big gash in my palm,and I had to go to the ER and then to a plastic sturgeon to get it sewn up. He did a good job as it is not notice able now.

I wrote to Bosche and since they have changed the design to this:

Wow! Scary… I’d like to think my push stick doesn’t do that. Usually I just use something made of wood, quickly shaped on the band saw. Your story makes me grateful that that’s my habit.

1 Like

You are correct,wood is safer,it will cut,where as plastic melts and bonds to the teeth. The overall shape of the pusher is fine, just the material it is made of i think is the problem.
Herb

There’s been a couple youtubers noting the danger of some plastic pushsticks in the last few months

Of course Stumpy Nubs has a solid and sensible video about it

I have stopped using mine as a result and sticking to the wooden ones. There’s already too many things that can hurt me in the shop :wink:

1 Like

After my encounter with the Red one I went out and bought 2 Micro-grip pushers. I used them a couple of times, but I have an uneasy feeling of my hand passing directly over the blade. It is just something about all those years of keeping my hands from being close to the blade I can’t seem to get over. My Dad lost the tips of his fingers on a tablesaw when I was a kid and I have never forgot it.
Herb

Wow, Herb, thanks for the heads-up. I don’t often use my table saw but I know I have some push sticks just like the one that injured you.

Glad to hear you were able to recover.

Don

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Ill get tid of the one i have.

1 Like

Idehan,use it for a pattern and make some wooden ones, before you toss it.
HErb

1 Like

WHOA!!!.. thanks for the heads up Herb…

1 Like