+The Olde Oak DResser

I had this oak dresser when I was a kid growing up. It came across the country from Pennsylvania to Washington state in a covered wagon in the late 1800’s when My Grandmother was a child, her dresser.
It ended up in my Garage with used auto parts in it after I was married. It was a dirty brown color and I noticed a chip out of the top down to the wood, and saw it was oak.
So I stripped all the many(approximately 6-8) coats of paint down to the wood and refinished it in a danish oil finish because the wood was all dried out. It sucked up a quart of finish. There were coats of blue,red,pink,white,sky blue,beige, and last dark brown.
The drawers were hand dovetailed,(rough) and the bottoms of the drawers were one piece of 1/4" poplar,which was warped and sagging.

I liked it so much, I decided to make a new one to go with it. The construction was panel on the sides with a 3/4" 1X3 that was grooved both edges and a 1/4" X 6" panel between. Here is the final project.
Herb

3 Likes

Cool story, and very nice build! I also see in the last picture that you’ve added a dust collection port to the dresser, keeping your clothes dust-free and presumably sucking up any moths as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes ,Tim,
That ,my friends is where I put the dirty clothes and when I get a couple of drawer full I turn it on and suck them out, blowing them into the washer. All I have to do is put in the soap and turn it on.
Herb

2 Likes

That’s ingenious! Did you get a patent on it? :rofl:

No, you can copy it if you wish, I am working on one from the washer to the dryer now, don’t know how they will get folded yet.
Just noticed in the picture, I have installed the top LH drawer pull upside down,I will have to fix that.
Herb

2 Likes