What off-cuts do you keep?

I’m cleaning up my workshop. It’s better than it was already, and I’m trying to make some rules about what off-cuts to keep. Because I have sooo much that’s probably junk, but I could totally make a drawer pull or handle out of it. Or use it for a small jig, or whatever. And sometimes I do, but mostly it’s just tiny pieces of wood.

I mostly make smaller things, so I do use smaller pieces, but I need to set myself some rules. I’m thinking something like, junk any plywood that’s less than 1 foot square, and any boards that are less than half a boardfoot.

How do you handle this?

Tim, I have collected boxes of expensive wood scraps, and then end up giving them away,to people who make small boxes, Intarsia, turners. The scraps I keep can be glued together to make larger “rainbow” boards to make cutting boards, block planes, trays, just about anything you want. I don’t use much plywood,or particle board, that stuff goes into jigs that are thrown away after use.

1 Like

How big a piece is big enough for you to include it in a box of “small scraps?”

Tim, that is the hard part,it gets to the point where you have boxes stacked up and you need the room, so into the garbage they go,even though it is a tough decision. It was not always that way when you could burn in the fireplace.
Herb

1 Like

Hah, so even you haven’t really “solved” this problem. :slight_smile: I do have a fireplace for burning cut-offs in, although that’s not really doable in the summer.

I would say that there is no complete solution,as all industries create waste of some kind, and the only way not to create any is to not do any woodworking. Even if some could be reused there is a percentage that is unsuitable. Another way ,I suppose is to put a time limit on any waste,and if it is not used by that time, out it goes.
Herb

There are 3 clubs in the area, 2 turners and 1 scroll saw, that typically use smaller pieces to make things that might want some.

Herb

1 Like

I ran across this idea for making small things out of wood. there even seems to be a demand for these too. CLICK HERE:

Herb

1 Like

The plywood, - spline them into usable panels…
lumber, - make ring or jewelry boxes… humidors furniture accents…
glue them into blocks for turning or panels…,…
got enough of pieces you can make a mighty fine newel…

what I consider trash…

1 Like

That first pic on topic of Scrapers I posted on this forum shows what I do with the scrap rips that pile up. I make wide boards out of them, some glue and bar clamps they can be glued together as all the same or a “rainbow” board. I have done this for years and there is a demand for those kind of boards, and they make small projects that are multicolored. I use 1/16" wide on up and space them to contrast. I will show some projects soon.

Herb

1 Like

Scrap Wood End-Grain Coasters…

These end-grain coasters are fun because of the endless patterns you can create, and they make great gifts!

Suggestion…
don’t plane the rough block…
leave pieces the rim offset for something a little different…

1 Like

Contemporary Key Hanger…

Build this clever key hanger in an hour with two strips of contrasting wood. Each set of keys has its own small fob which nests in between the spacers. Opposing bevels in the spacers and fobs keep your keys from falling on the floor.

1 Like

Scrap Wood Catapult…

If you’re anything like me, once a project is finished, there’s a lot of off-cut lumber left over. Throwing it away feels like a waste. Instead, use it to make this cool little catapult. Put it on your desk at work and annoy your coworkers,

1 Like

That is a great one if you have little kids, it will keep them busy for hours. even could add a wooden cup of some kind for the ammo.
Herb

1 Like

Wall-Mounted Wine Rack…

This wall-mounted wine rack is easy to customize and simple to build.

the cup is the drilled pocket…

this is a lot of cut offs…

1 Like

This is a subject dear to my heart. If you have scraps, a table saw to size them, glue , and clamps, make a board out of them. It is only the limit of your imagination as to what pattern they can be laid up into. Make your own board .
Herb

1 Like

and w/ splining you take that up a couple of notches…