Wooden Scraper Holder

Lee Valley has this metal card scraper holder. They are a little pricey so I thought I might be able to make my own.
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/scrapers/32669-veritas-scraper-holder?item=05K3301

It was quite simple really just a couple of scraps and a good scraper blade. I made a prototype first and tried it out then made the finished one.

It seemed to do the job so I made a nicer one.

Herb

2 Likes

Finished Holder

Herb

1 Like

Those look nice! I guess the center thumb screw pokes into the back of the scraper to adjust the curve?

Yes, when you use the scraper, the correct way is to push and use your thumbs to put a slight bend in the spring steel scraper. From my experience using them the heat build-up on your thumbs can get hot enough to blister at worst. or sustain a minor burn on the skin of your thumb. that is one reason I never used the scraper as much as I should have. The holder insulates the thumb plus puts a consistent arc in the blade.
Herb

1 Like

Very cool. How is the scraper held in place. Do you have plans or drawings?

The blade is held in by the thumb screw and the tension on the blade. there are stops to keep the blade from pushing out the top
Herb

Herb…
I used your scraper today…
Sweet!!!
thank you…

1 Like

I found the folder of pictures on the steps to build these scrapers,so will post it for future reference.

Sure put a lot of scraps to use in a constructive way.
Herb

3 Likes

WOW!!! just doesn’t say enough…

1 Like