Cherry boxes with Sapele lids and splines

I just completed 2 cherry and Sapele boxes. Finished with shellac.
An fun project for a cold December day.

5 Likes

The splines make it look like the walls are really chunky. How thick are they? I’m also curious about the pulls. They look like a shape cut from a flat board?

Very nice,Allen, exquisite as all you work.
Herb

Very nice, what did you use for finish?

Several coats of shellac

so clean… so beautiful…

1 Like

@Allen…
the more I look at your boxes, the more I admire them…
they are beautiful…

1 Like

Thanks. They were fun to build. Might make more later this year.

2 Likes

there’s no doubts about your talent and skills…
do you have more that you would be willing to show??

1 Like

Allen,
Knowing you, you probably made the splines from pieces that were painstakingly cut from some stock and look perfect. I, on the other hand, being a lazy woodworker, wonder if one can buy splines ready made - of particular interest would be those that are dovetails. Any suggestions from you or the group?

The boxes look great!

Don

Splines are easy to make. Just cut a strip of wood a bit thicker than needed and sand or plane it until is fits. Dovetail ones can also be cut on the table saw as long as you are careful. I usually cut a single long piece than cut it length after I am sure it fits. I usually cut them longer than needed and saw them flush after they are glued in place.

1 Like

Don, Those splines are really attractive and not that hard to do.
The way I do it is to make a little sliding jig for the table saw fence that holds the box corner point downward. set the fence say 1" away from the blade and the blade for the height you want. Blade height can be either through to the inside or just short of the thickness of the sides. Cut all 4 corners ,Opposite end the same, then move the fence away from the blade the distance of the middle cut, cut 4 sides and so on for the number of splines you want. To cut the splines, Set the fence the thickness of the saw blade away from the fence and rip a long piece and chop them crosscut to a hair longer than the finished length and after they are glued in they can be sanded down flush to sides.
Herb

1 Like

Herb, much better and more complete explanation thank you

Allen & Herb,
Thanks for the tips. Given my reluctance to use my table saw (that kickback experience was quite a lesson!) I got a spline jig for my router which I’ll use but the other advice you provided is going to help me expand my joint experiences, thanks!
Don

Like these or similar?

Spline jig.pdf (136.1 KB)
Ultimate Spline Jig.pdf (101.5 KB)

Allen:…

If you ever decide to make picture frames and would like to spline them…
Here’s a simple jig for that…

Jig for Corner Splines

Some tips on splining…

SPLINES.pdf (130.3 KB)